Tool Loan Program
On this page:
You might also like:
Conservation is for everyone!
Protecting and enhancing the Tualatin River watershed requires participation from our local communities. Tualatin SWCD's tool loan program helps residents pursue conservation projects by making specialized equipment easily available.
Borrow weed wrenches at no cost:
- Extractigator & Extractigator Junior
The Extractigator removes woody stems up to 2 inches in diameter. We also carry the Extractigator Junior, which can handle stems up to 1.5 inches in diameter.View the Extractigator
- BigFoot attachment
Both Extractigators come with the BigFoot attachment, which increases the footprint of the tool, allowing it to not sink into soft soils. This accessory is helpful when working with sandy, rocky, or soft soils.View the BigFoot
- Uprooter & Uprooter Mini
The Uprooter works well to remove small trees and other woody plants up to 2.25 inches in diameter. We also carry the Uprooter Mini, which can handle stems up to 1 inch in diameter.View the Uprooter
Borrow planting equipment at no cost:
We loan shovels and planting bags to Washington County residents to help plant trees and shrubs, specifically bareroot or plug stock.
Bareroot plants are harvested such that their roots are washed and exposed, then packed into bags for cold storage. Plugs are similar to container plants and have a small root ball of soil. Plugs are usually planted in late fall through the winter, whereas bareroot is typically planted only in winter.
Bareroot and plugs are ideal for planting a large area efficiently, such as a reforestation or hedgerowHedgerow A row of trees or shrubs. project.
Two planting tools are available:
Borrow soil probes at no cost:
We have three soil probes for Washington County residents to help collect soil samples.
Soil testing reveals the available nutrients that help your plants grow and can help you determine what is needed to increase plant health.
While you can use a shovel to collect samples, soil probes are a fast and simple way to get through the soil profile and collect samples to send to a lab.
Borrow soil penetrometers at no cost:
We have three soil penetrometers for Washington County residents to help test the compaction level of your soil.
Penetrometers measure the resistance of the soil in Pounds Per Square Inch (PSI). The lower the PSI means more oxygen for soil microbes as well as how easily plant roots, nutrients, and water can move throughout the soil.
Rent a seed drill:
We loan a Land Pride 606NT seed drill for Washington County residents to use for establishing cover-crops.
Land Pride 606NT Details:
- A compact, pull‐type, no‐till drill for planting a variety of seed sizes for practices such as cover cropping or pasture overseeding.
- It requires at least a 40 HP tractor and hydraulic circuit.
- It seeds 9 rows at 7.5” spacing (6’ swath).
- Transportation by renters requires a truck capable of pulling 2700 lbs (hitch and adapters provided).
- The transport size is width‐ 8’10”, length‐11’5’, and height‐ 5’1”.
- The equipment rents for $300/day and a $250 refundable deposit is required. See rental agreement for more
Rent a manure spreader:
We loan a mid-sized manure spreader for Washington County residents.
Model 57 Mid-Sized Manure Spreader Details:
- A mid-sized manure spreader that can spread manure, wood chips and other bulk materials.
- It is ideal for mid-size stables & farms with up to 10 animals.
- It can hold 56 cu. ft., 9 wheelbarrow loads, and 45 bushels.
- Tow with a compact tractor or ATV, 18 HP / 500 cc. min.
- Body Dimensions: 89.5″ L x 37″ W x 17.5″ H.
- Body Flare Width: 44.5″.
- Overall Product Dimensions: 11′ 6″ L x 58″ W x 34″ H.
- Empty Weight: 660 lbs.
- The equipment rents for $150/day and a $150 refundable deposit is required. See rental agreement for more
Learn more about the Tool Loan Program
Complete the tool request form and our dedicated program staff will be in touch with you!